Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The moments are frail.

The moments from where we stood to where we lie.
As each passes I know it can be the last. It chokes me. It chokes me the familiar choke that I have known for far too long. The choke that has taught me to relish, to linger. The choke that has cursed me and put defeat into each victory.

But I relish. I linger. I stay awake and watch. I want to love for as long as I can squeeze it in. I don't want to leave but I know I'll have to. And by the time I have left everything will have changed. I can not turn back to this, for these moments pass and never return. It chokes me. It chokes me so hard.

They are so frail. If I pull too hard they will tear.

So I try to caress them.
I run my finger down the silky threads of this moment of you and me, and the next. Trying to memorize each sensation, each feel each taste each breath and beat, but the more I try the more it refuses to fossilize. It is only in the most intimate spontaneous seconds that anything is set in memory. Memory objects control.

I can only try to be all there in the frail moments. I can persist but they will perish nonetheless. And my state of bliss becomes a state of mourning its imminent end.
You breathe in I breathe out You breathe out I breathe in
But each breath, inasmuch as it connects our beings, passes
Each breath is a moment
Each beat of your heart is a moment
But passes
It all
Passes

I can not hold on to it no matter how hard I try
It chokes me
If I reach out too desperately it tears
I know you will dissolve so I try to look harder
Listen closer
Breathe slower
Smell clearer
Taste longer

But the moments are frail

But they are our moments
and will always be ours
even if the memory of them will fade
they will have been ours

I relish but am defeated.

To you,
..kH

3 comments:

Ty Shaw said...

Peace,
This piece has a beauty that words can't describe. It's music. You are blessed. Please continue to share your talent.
P.S. Thanks for the positive remarks on my blog. The moments truly are frail and should be cherished.. I just can't help but mourn the memories of moments past...

todd said...

Very poetic blog! Thanks for visiting mine and leaving a nice comment. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

vá!!! Þetta er svo fallegt:) svo vel skrifað og flott enska;) Ég dáist af svona skrifum og mun halda áfram að fylgjast með:) Takk fyrir að deila þessu með okkur. Knús:)